Welcome back, word nerds! Step right up and enter the Grammar Cop’s lair chock-full of frightful flubs. 😬
- “Guzzo … has built Cinemas Guzzo into a Canadian entertainment empire, with 141 screens, nine IMAX theatres and a total of 10 locations with three more on the way to opening its doors later this year.”
- “On top of his success in the business world, Guzzo and his wife Maria has given back to their community as respected philanthropists.”
- “We offer eco friendly low emission alternatives.”
- There’s a good thing here that is simultaneously a bad thing. The word “its” is used correctly without an apostrophe, since it is possessive. (Remember, its is the exception to the rule of adding ‘s to form a possessive word or name.) However, in this sentence you need to say their, not its, because you need the plural pronoun, not singular one. It is referring back to the screens, theatres and locations, all of which will open their doors later on.
- Here we have a similar mistake – a singular form of a word instead of the plural that’s needed. The verb “has given” should be have given, because the subject is plural: Guzzo and his wife Maria.
- Isn’t this a bad case of hyphen-o-phobia? Not one but two missing hyphens are in this one sentence in an ad. We need eco-friendly low-emission alternatives – period.
Okay, the Grammar Cop’s job is done. And how was your week?
6 thoughts on “Friday Follies #153 – Making Grammar Great Again, One Hyphen at a Time”
1 and 2- The writer spends all of his or her time at the cinema and doesn’t read. Hence, the grammar problems.
3-A lack of hyphens is bad for the environment; the reading environment. 😀
1/2- You’re right! IT’S why THEIR grammar SUX.
3- Hyphen-o-phobia runs rampant everywhere we look these days. It’s a losing battle but the Grammar Cop keeps plugging away!
I missed last week’s and only noticed when I was looking for this week’s. Hope the finger is healing up!
But got all 3 exactly right (for once)!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks… it’s almost completely healed now! I’m scrambling to keep up with fellow bloggers but so hard, since my sweetie is here now and we’re so busy!
Enjoy yourself! The blogs will still be here when you get bored.
LikeLiked by 1 person